Trust us: It isn’t just a sidekick for bacon and eggs anymore. Toast now enjoys status as a stand-alone, crisped-up base for toppings of all types.
By Mary Brown Malouf, Photos by Adam Finkle
Peanut butter, banana chips and toasted almonds on wheat toast
Goat cheese, proscuitto and halved kalamata olives on wheat toast
Sweetened cream cheese, sliced strawberries and honey drizzle on white toast
Peanut butter, sliced apples and honey drizzle on raisin-cinnamon toast
Other toast toppings to try
From the basic white toast of the 1950s, through successive Pop-Tart, croissant, bagel and muffin phases, we’ve come back to toast. Turns out, toast is not so basic anymore. Today’s toast is made from artisanal, not factory, bread and is topped with ingredients from a global pantry.
- Spread with butter; top with thinly sliced radishes; sprinkle with sea salt.
- Spread with ricotta; top with sliced tomatoes.
- Whip together butter, brown sugar and cinnamon; spread on toast and place under broiler till the sugar barely bubbles.
- Spread with ricotta; top with paper-thin sliced Vidalia onions; sprinkle heavily with cracked black pepper.
- Spread with soft goat cheese; top with
- Spread with strawberry jam; sprinkle with bits of blue cheese.
- Spread with butter; top with thinly sliced peaches/strawberries; sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Spread pesto; top with thin slices of prosciutto.
- Spread with hummus; top with toasted pine nuts and zaatar.
Toast provided by Publik Coffee Roasters, Inc.