Black-and-white decorating doesn’t have to inspire sit-up-straight formality or an uppity expression. Throw in rich texture, playful patterns and surprising shapes, and this classic color combo can style a room from chic to cozy, luxe to laid-back. What’s your pleasure?
1) Planted patterned pots, $18 small and $26 large, Orchid Dynasty, SLC
2) Pampa wallpaper by Pierre Frey, to the trade, John Brooks Inc., SLC
3) Caviar Adjustable Bouquet by Arteriors, $2,520, Forsey’s Fine Furniture, SLC
4) Tasseled throw and down pillow, $113 and $125, Alice Lane Home Collection, SLC
5) Terrafirma ceramic wine coasters, $40 each, O.C. Tanner Jewelers, SLC
6) Fabrics, Ziani by Jab, Betwixt by Schumacher, Rama by RM COCO, K. Rocke Design, SLC
7) Marcel chair by Bernhardt, $2,082, Thomasville of Utah, Murray
Want to relax your black and white decor?
Simple: Ditch stark white. Choose off-white, (yes, it’s back in favor), and this high-contrast combo will kickback and put its feet up.