Satisfy your guests’ taste buds with a light spring dessert.
Recipe by Marguerite Henderson
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 2 lbs. fresh rhubarb (about 5 stalks), hulled and quartered, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 heaping Tbsp. tapioca or 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts of choice
- 1 1 /2 sticks (6 oz.) butter, cut into small pieces
In a bowl, combine the berries, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon, tapioca, salt, orange zest and juice. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and spread evenly. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, sugars, cinnamon, nuts and butter. With a pastry cutter, blend until butter is cut into pea-sized pieces. Spread mixture evenly over fruit. Bake uncovered in preheated 375-degree oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly and crispy on top.
(Can be made a day ahead up to this point. Refrigerate, then reheat in 375-degree oven for 8–10 minutes before serving, just to warm through).
Click here for an inside look at Marguerite Henderson’s outdoor midday soirée.