A well-executed trip to the farmers market can yield high returns. Romina Rasmussen offers a few tips.
- Pack light. Bring reusable totes and lightweight plastic containers.
- Don’t be shy. Vendors are happy to answer questions or offer helpful tips.
- Go early for best selection. Go late for best deals.
- Go with a plan. Check the Downtown Farmers Market website (slcfarmersmarket.org) for what is in season.
- Be bold. If you see something that inspires you, buy it and try it.
- Avoid weekend mobs. Tuesday evening markets feature fewer vendors and smaller crowds.
- Use your smart phone. Rasmussen uses the Epicurious app to find recipes on-the-fly, along with the Eat Local app to see what’s in season at all the local markets.
— Romina Rasmussen
Click here to tag along with our editor at the farmers market.
In the (farmers) market for peaches? Find a peach galette recipe here.